Note: Registered users of the Rover-Landers forum are not automatically Rover-Landers club members. If you wish to join our club, please follow the instructions at Rover-Landers Membership

Island Fall Run Thanksgiving Monday October 9th 2017

A Forum for discussion between Rover enthusiasts on Vancouver Island

Moderator: Greg S

island dormy
Out of Africa

Island Fall Run Thanksgiving Monday October 9th 2017

#1 Post by island dormy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:02 pm

Okay after much consultation with the core group of Island rovers who usually show up for our runs we have decided to try and go up to the old Green mountain ski resort on Monday October 9th.
The meeting place will be the Tim Hortons north of Duncan across from the BC Forest Museum, we will depart from the parking lot at 8:30 am. SHARP.
We will try to get to it Via Lake Cowichan and come back out through Nanaimo Lakes which exits near the Bungee zone hopefully by 4:00 pm so you can still get home in time for a big helping of turkey dinner.
Bring the usual camera, lunch, a folding chair for lunch, water, a FULL gas tank, radios if you have them (we monitor many different types of radios),and helpers to get out and push if you get stuck.
This will hopefully be a none scratch run but it has been a couple of years since we went up there and I have no clue what shape the road is in.

Lets hear from you if you are coming and remember this will probably be our only fall run.

Victor 1962 Dormobile PS. I need a ride as per usual. Thanks
Last edited by island dormy on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

obalme
Bumper Sticker

Re: Island Fall Run Monday October 9th 2017

#2 Post by obalme » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:50 pm

Victor, you say it is a no scratch run so your Dormobile should be able to make it unscathed. I would like a hot chocolate for lunch.

Cheers
-1960 Series II Pickup
-1987 Defender 110
-2007 LR3

cbalme
Cross Member

#3 Post by cbalme » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:52 pm

I could give you a ride in my 109 if it wasn't still a frame. I think obalme can spare a seat though.
Colin

island dormy
Out of Africa

#4 Post by island dormy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:57 am

Hi Oliver and Colin

I will gladly take a ride in the 110 and am calling shotgun before anybody else can.

Sadly the dormys trail days are over, it will only be doing car shows from now on.

Victor 1962 Dormobile

cbalme
Cross Member

#5 Post by cbalme » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:59 pm

island dormy wrote:
calling shotgun before anybody else can.
We'll see about that...
Colin

island dormy
Out of Africa

Re: Island Fall Run Thanksgiving Monday October 9th 2017

#6 Post by island dormy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi Colin and Oliver

Well one week to go I sure hope some other Island Rover owners sign up and come along for the drive. Right now it looks like a one rover show.

Victor 1962 Dormobile.

BruceD
Junior Craftsman

#7 Post by BruceD » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:10 am

we should be there!

BuckBlue90
Wing Nut

#8 Post by BuckBlue90 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:29 pm

Sadly, Sue and I will be up-Island. This sounds like a good run, so have a great day of it.
Eric.

pragsy
Junkyard Master

#9 Post by pragsy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:08 am

Coincidentally, I was just jumping in here to see if there was anything happening this fall. I could be in for Monday drive. I'd like to get dirty though.
On a side note, I'd love to get some people together to tackle that trail we did in Cowichan on the last run.
Please let me know if anything changes before Monday.

island dormy
Out of Africa

#10 Post by island dormy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:15 pm

Hi Pragsey

Yes it would be interesting to finish that Cowichan drive I think we were fairly close to getting back on the main road.

I am sure we can find you something challenging along the way on this trip. The whole trip may be a challenge I have know idea which gates are open so the route may change as we go along. (Normally we pre drive these trips so we know they are doable ) But not this time,sorry just not enough time.

Any changes will be posted on this forum only, sorry no face book or twitter or emails will be going out. So
just keep checking back.

Victor 1962 Dormobile

cbalme
Cross Member

#11 Post by cbalme » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:18 pm

Well, I guess your dream has come true Victor. My dad decided to chop corn instead of having a fun day out in the Rovers so you get Shotgun.

I may have accidentally invited a Toyota Hilux, we will see if he makes it to Timmies without breaking down. He is definitely riding in the back since it's a diesel.

The forecast calls for sun but you never know.
Colin

Greg S
Jacked Up

#12 Post by Greg S » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Late to post on here but I will be coming. I better! I just turned down a day of work for it.
Add a 109 for the day.
Greg S
VA7 IIA
1986 ex mil FFR 90 2.5 NA canvas top
1970 109 SW, 2.25, Parabolics, disk brakes
1955 86 SW stock & rusty
1951 80" in parts

island dormy
Out of Africa

#13 Post by island dormy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:20 pm

Well I guess Greg may be the leader in possibly the only petrol powered vehicle of the group. Sure hope he remembers to bring his chain saw in case any trees blew down in the wind storm we had Friday.

Victor 1962 Dormobile

pragsy
Junkyard Master

#14 Post by pragsy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Hope you guys catch this message. I will not be making the trip. Weekend was too busy and I did not have enough time to prep and get my ass down there. Have a blast.

Greg S
Jacked Up

#15 Post by Greg S » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:25 pm

Sorry you couldn't make it Praugsy. We had a nice drive today 122, miles timmies and back to timmies. I'm not aware of any breakdowns on any of the 4 trucks, not even on the Toyota Hilux that came along. We forced Mike to keep at the tail end to pick up the fine quality British made parts that might come off our Land Rover and we didn't want any of his Toyota parts damaging our Land Rover if we were to drive over them. Also, he's a licensed HAM radio operator, good to have as a tail gunner with another HAM at the front to keep the group from getting spread out.

Weather was great, views were too. The hike up the ski hill had me a bit winded but all the others were more fit than I and just brushed it off. Most important, the gates were open both going in and coming out. You have to remember, all of the East side of the island is private property. If the land owner wants to shut the gate, well, it IS their privately owned property.

Thank you to Island Timberlands and Timberwest for letting us use your roads and enjoy the great scenery.
Greg S
VA7 IIA
1986 ex mil FFR 90 2.5 NA canvas top
1970 109 SW, 2.25, Parabolics, disk brakes
1955 86 SW stock & rusty
1951 80" in parts

island dormy
Out of Africa

#16 Post by island dormy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi Guys

I agree with Greg it was a great day, gorgeous weather (could not have been nicer) the scenery was spectacular and the company on the trip outstanding, lunch in the great outdoors surrounded by 3 Rovers and a TOY&#^$a up at the old ski hill in the fall sunshine just made the day.
We should do it again real soon, maybe next weekend while the fall colors are still out in full splendor in the back country. Maybe a different location? Any one got any ideas?

However some one else will have to organize the next trip. I can not seem to get more than 3 Rovers at a time out.

Thank you also to Timber West for having someone at the gate to allow us in.

Victor 1962 Dormobile

cbalme
Cross Member

#17 Post by cbalme » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:30 pm

Thanks for organizing a great day Victor even if you did send off in the wrong direction a few times. Jed and I both had a great time. Tell Margaret thanks for lunch and the Donuts!
Colin

andrewd
Blithering Barnacle

#18 Post by andrewd » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Very sorry I missed it gang! Sadly I haven't been checking the site as often as I should be. Would love to go out so if anyone wants to go again very soon please send me an email or a text to let me know. My personal email address is landroverseriesfan@gmail.com or call/text me at 2505891693.
Andrew D.

2002 Discovery II - Terrafirma 2" lift, underbody protection, steel winch bumper up front, steel rear bumper with swing away spare tire, roof rack, tent, Terrafirma light bar with Hella lights
1984 Series 3 Lightweight - RH drive soft top, 24V FFR, ex Queen's Gurkha Engineers in Hong Kong (1984 - 1997) currently in pieces getting restored

island dormy
Out of Africa

#19 Post by island dormy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:13 pm

Hi Andrew

Sorry you missed it to. I can not remember if you have made that trip before or not, we have done it almost every fall.

We kind of post what we are planning to do only on the forum, it makes a lot of extra work for the person organizing the event to have to send out emails, twitters, face books, Instagram's and what ever else is out there now for instant communication. If a last minute change happens all that has to be done again.

However there might be some magical way to set your email up to automatically receive every new post on the Island forum?

If not just keep checking out your trusty Rover landers Island web board for info on upcoming drives, shows and pub nights.

See you at the next one

Victor