4WDABC - Is it worth it?

PaavScan
Cross Member

#1 Post by PaavScan » Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:09 pm

Have we as a group ever asked the 4wdabc for any support?

If yes what did we ask for and what did we get?

exmod90
Wing Nut

#2 Post by exmod90 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:09 pm

One person's opinion .... I have been an individual member of the 4wdabc since the the late 80's and became a member of the Rover Landers January 2003 . As you probably know , the 4wdabc is an umbrella organization consisting of many individual members and several 4x4 clubs [ the Rover Landers being one of them ] . Having served in several capacities within the the 4wdabc [ fund raising , Backroader Editor , VP for 2 years and land use working in conjunction with the MOF in maintaining the Sunrise Lake camp site for some 4+ years ] . I believe the 4wdabc is an important organization and visible with respect to continuing the fight in keeping our wheeling areas open ... Whipsaw for example is under extreme pressure to be closed due to alpine meadow damage by 4x4 yahoo's who truly don't represent the responsible 4 x wheelers at large .
As I have always said , the 4wdabc is what we volunter and certainly our club should be no exception .
Series 1 , 86" Station Wagon
1986 Land Rover 90 [ exmod ] , soft top
2004 Land Rover Discovery SE

rick.m
Out of Africa

4wdacbc

#3 Post by rick.m » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:01 pm

I dont see the point of paying $15.00 per year to their organization. as the places they seem interested in arnt places i would go. as to their ability to lobby for us as a club is unlikely. i think if we as land rover owners were to follow the tradition of the similar BRITISH clubs, we should find an apropriate charity to let the same a\mount of money go to. we would send them a cheque for dues for 2003 for almost $1000.00 . in my mind that is a lot of money for them to spend. i hope we pull out . and find a charity. the club that puts on the toy run out of surrey dropped out of the association. and their work is very rewarding i think. all the best. RICK.M :oops:

Green Giant
Little Wheel

#4 Post by Green Giant » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:27 pm

Another persons opinion...
The one question that always seems to be asked is "What does the 4wdabc do for me?" For a person not familiar with what the 4wdabc does for us, may I sugest attending some of their meetings. If that doesn't clear things up talk to the directors & the people directly involved with land use. They will tell you about all the areas thretened by closure, and others that they are working hard at getting re opened to us as 4 wheelers. Now after talking to these people, and listening to what they are trying to accomplish, most people realize the huge task a small number of people are taking on. Remember as a Rover owner you might not be into hardcore wheeling, but you may be into dirt biking,mountain biking,horse back riding,hiking,camping,hunting,snowmobiling, or sport fishing. All these are things the 4wdabc helps to try and protect. It is a huge challange for the small amount of people that dedicate their time to it, and I think for most of us that enjoy the outdoors in one way or another it would be unfair for us as a group to leave the 4wdabc. I think the members of the 4wdabc that are doing all the work would appreciate help from more clubs, and their membership. Remember the 4wdabc is VOLUNTEER, so the more we do to help will incease what gets done, and if we are powerful in numbers maybe one day we can have a larger voice when it comes to land use in B.C. :evil: :evil: :evil:

bclandrover
Master Cylinder

#5 Post by bclandrover » Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:34 pm

Another vote FOR the "concept" of a unified voice lobbying to protect our rights to access our public lands for recreation whether it is 4x4ing, hiking, mountain biking, camping or whatever.

If the 4WDABC is not doing what they say their doing, that's another issue.

Whats $15 per year anyways, not so much when drive all the way to Squamish, Chilliwack or further to go camping and your favorite campsite is blocked off with a locked gate.

Maybe the question should be: "What else can I do for the 4WDABC?"

Over 60 Roverlander members have paid the extra $15 every year for the last three or four years without ever questioning it at a club meeting.

As a member I would be upset if a decision was made to leave the 4WDABC without a report from our 4WDABC representative, prior notice to all members in writing and a membership vote.

The Roverlanders have already commited to their membership that this was included for 2004. Any decisions now should not be applicable until 2005.

I don't intend to upset anyone with these comments. Just my opinions!

Thanks,
Don MacDonald, Past President
Rover-Landers of BC

John
Miss Fire

#6 Post by John » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:26 pm

I don't think that there is much that I can add to the well spoken responses already in record here, but, as one of the individuals responsible for our clubs joining the 4WDABC and also as one of the FEW Rover-Landers to EVER participate in the activities of the 4WDABC, maybe I should say something.

To begin, I certainly see no harm in asking the basic question which started this thread. In fact, it should probably be asked at least once a year at a club meeting when the membership renewal is due. For those members new to the club, or for those members who don't participate very much, if at all in club meetings and events I imagine it is a very common question, especially in light of the fact that the Backroader, the newsletter of the 4WDABC is somewhat late (understatement) in coming. Let me assure you however, that if you feel some sense of frustration, it is likely nowhere near the level of frustration felt by the handfull of people who are actively participating in and volunteering their time, efforts, and funds (a whole lot more than $15 a year) to the Association and all that it stands for. Let me assure you that they are the few and that their efforts are significant.

The triumphs are often small, and many shortlived, for the municipal and provincial governments along with the "greenies" are a powerful force, but the Association, along with other outdoor recreational user groups representing hikers, mountainbikers, horseback riders, fisherman, hunters, etc. does provide a voice for those of us sitting in the back seats who enjoy the outdoors and all this province has to offer.

As has been said, it is a volunteer organization and we, as its members, are the pool from which those volunteers are drawn. If there are no volunteers, then it will die, and if it dies, then so be it. But, as long as it does survive, I too, as a member of one of BC's largest four wheel drive clubs, give my vote for continued membership.

Wake up! Anyone still there?
Regards
John

exmod90
Wing Nut

#7 Post by exmod90 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:12 pm

The 4wdabc just had their annual AGM this past weekend . One additional club has just joined [ the Naniamo Sidewinders ] plus the Coast Mountain General Purpose club plans to join at the 4wdabc's Fall Convention [ to be hosted by the NCOAS in Prince George ] . We , the Rover Landers do wheel every where , including Whipsaw . At the AGM , it was announced that the 4wdabc was given approval to adopt the Whipsaw campsites ... we the Rover Landers should / must support this effort . Let's take our blinders off and support this effort and other off-road access issues .
Gerry Bolduc [ volunteer ] .
Series 1 , 86" Station Wagon
1986 Land Rover 90 [ exmod ] , soft top
2004 Land Rover Discovery SE

Colin
Cross Member

#8 Post by Colin » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:56 pm

I would add my support to remaining in 4WDBC, besides the benefits of a larger lobby group to combat the governments and NGO intent to limit public access to Crown land, I have found that the 30% discount from Lordco for having the 4WDBC card has more than saved me the $15.00 membership. So even from a purely financial point of view, I find it a good deal and would want Roverlander’s to remain in the organization. I think it is a good idea to review these associations from time to time and is just good management of the club to do so. Cheers

Bill E.
Jacked Up

#9 Post by Bill E. » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:30 pm

I was one of the members who voted to be part of the 4WDABC originally. My reasons for us joining are the same reasons I think we should continue our support. I am a busy person, I can barely get to a couple of club meetings and a few outings per year. If my 15 bucks buys even a tiny voice in the fight to keep public lands public then I'm in. I feel bad that I can't help more directly by volunteering time. The 4WDABC is only going to be listened to if it can say it is speaking for a large cross section of the off-roading public. Teddy bears at Christmas are all very nice but I think that sort of charitable donation is even less on point for our clubs consideration.
Bill Eastwood

ANDYD
Defender of the World

4WDABC & the Rover-Landers 2006......

#10 Post by ANDYD » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:49 pm

I Know this is an old thread, but it is full of well thought & interesting information. Questions that will all be coming up again at this years Annual meeting on Jan 21st.

Andy
1991 Defender 110 / 2003 Discovery / 1956 Series 1- 86

rick.m
Out of Africa

WOW!!

#11 Post by rick.m » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:14 am

Who knew people felt like that about the 4WDABC. I wish the writer had signed it with their full name and club affiliation.so i could thank them in person If i happen to meet them. all the best. rick.mellenger a roverlander!!!
i hope we have a good turn out for our AGM so it can be well discussed.