In the news: Opposition focuses on rural issues

DaveB
Defender of the World

In the news: Opposition focuses on rural issues

#1 Post by DaveB » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:05 pm

Category: News
Headline: Opposition focuses on rural issues
Summary : During the first week of December, the Opposition Rural Caucus travelled throughout the interior of British Columbia to talk to northern and rural residents. We met with a number of groups including the BC Cattleman, various Chambers of Commerce, resident hunters’ organizations and the Off-Road Vehicle Coalition. We also held roundtable discussions in each of the communities that we visited where concerned citizens had the chance to talk about the issues that mattered to them.

Please follow the link below to view this story:
http://web.bcnewsgroup.com/portals-code ... id=1452226

Has anyone heard of the Off-Road Vehicle Coalition? They have a website here: http://www.orvcoalitionbc.org/

My first impression is they are promoting the licensing of ATVs and sleds, which is in my opinion commendable, but upon further reading, there is little endorsement of off-roading and some of their supporting members seem to be environmentalist groups generally opposed to motorized access, with a few motorcycle groups thrown in for good measure:

Grasslands Conservation Council of British Columbia
Quad Riders Association of British Columbia
British Columbia Cattlemen's Association
Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society - BC
Greater Kamloops Motorcycle Association
Outdoor Recreation Council of British Columbia
Federation of British Columbia Naturalists
Okanagan Trail Riders Association
Trails BC
Pacific North West Motorcycle Association
Association of BC Snowmobile Clubs
BC Off-Road Motorcycle Association

I did a search on the BC4x4 forum here about them and nothing came up. We should have 4x4 users as stakeholders in this as well, as decision they propose will inevitably affect us as well.

cheers, Dave