Canol Road and Tuktoyaktuk Inquiry

NigelD90
Rookie

Canol Road and Tuktoyaktuk Inquiry

#1 Post by NigelD90 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi All,
Myself and a FJ60 owner friend are making plans for a early August departure from Indianapolis to drive the Canol Road and then I am heading to Tuktoyaktuk to drive the recently opened road. We are hoping members may be able to furnish updated general information regarding the road and any advice. Also, I saw some older information regarding the government limiting or prohibiting access to the region. We are assuming that mid to late August timeframe is a good time to beat the snow season.

Though both trucks are well kitted out, it is our intention to drive as much of the road that is practical without tearing up the trucks or getting stranded.

We will take the Bellingham, WA ferry to Skagway and then drive back to the States via Canadian roads eastward. If anyone wants to join us along the way, you are invited.

I must add that having traveled much of North and Central America in my Defender over the years, I have never been in Alaska or NW Canada, so am looking forward to seeing the region!

thanks for any information or suggestions,

Jon

Jon Haskell
Carmel, IN USA
"Nigel" 97 D90 NAS, 374,000 miles. (now in pieces being moved to a new chassis, with a engine and transmission rebuild)

red90
Defender of the World

Re: Canol Road and Tuktoyaktuk Inquiry

#2 Post by red90 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:31 pm

Where exactly are you meaning? The Canol road is not passable.

NigelD90
Rookie

#3 Post by NigelD90 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. It was our understanding portions were still passable from Ross River. Not so?

red90
Defender of the World

#4 Post by red90 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:29 pm

You can drive to the border and back. I’m not sure there is a point though. It is just a regular road.

Dave_F
Landy Man

#5 Post by Dave_F » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:07 pm

You can drive from the Alaska Hwy and turn onto the South Canol Hwy at Johnston’s crossing then up to Ross River, take the ferry over the river to the North Canol Hwy. Highway is a very loose term in the North...basically a dirt road. This will take you to the Yukon-NWT border...this is where the Canol “Trail” starts.

There are no services or fuel after Ross River...wilderness only.

The Canol Trail is not to be taken lightly...many river crossings, rock slides, etc...if you do this it’s also the same way out as in.

I wouldn’t do this with just two vehicles.

We did it with 5 Rovers, almost a year of preparation and barely made it halfway.

Lots of places to wheel up north without putting you or your vehicles in harms way.
1956 Series 1 86 Hardtop 173601415
1991 x-MoD 19 KK 88 Defender 110 ~ daily driver

1955 Series 1 86 Hardtop 57130577 ~ just a heap o' parts now

1985 Series III 109 x-MoD BATUS 77 KC 63 < sold lives in Calgary
1965 x-MoD 35 ET 73 Sankey Narrow Track Trailer ~ sold

http://www.freewebs.com/83s3109/

ANDYD
Defender of the World

#6 Post by ANDYD » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:09 pm

There was a couple of expeditions completed along the Canol Road by Rover-landers a few years back and I remember from their photos, videos & reports of amazing scenery and many positive comments that it was a really great adventure. "A trip of a life time" one person wrote. They travelled up to the NWT border and way beyond... but it does get very challenging and is very overgrown once you get deeper into NWT.
Sure you will eventually need to turn around and retrace your steps but you also have to do that once you drive to Tuktoyaktuk!

I think if you are looking for an adventure and haven't done much of the North West its a great idea... Go for it.
1991 Defender 110 / 2003 Discovery / 1956 Series 1- 86

red90
Defender of the World

#7 Post by red90 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:55 am

IMO, there is no point going there. There is nothing much to see and you can't get through. You are just tearing up a hiking trail that is not passable with vehicles and giving the 4WD community a bad name.

There are interesting places to go. Tuk is probably not one either. People just go there to day they did it. A lot of driving for very little. Highway 4 and 6 are interesting. Lots to see around Dawson. Keno City is worth a trip with lots of old mines to visit that require off road travel.