Solar Eclipse in Oregon August 21st 2017

Details of Rover-related activities posted here
Paul Rossmo
Blithering Barnacle

Solar Eclipse in Oregon August 21st 2017

#1 Post by Paul Rossmo » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi all,
I'm going to head down for this event, it should occur about 10am on the 21st. I want to view it from the lee of the mountains for the best chance of clear skies. Somewhere just a few miles north of Madras would be ideal. The roads will be jammed nearby, the motels are all full and people are trying to do campsite packages for $500 USD for 4 days. I'm going from Victoria to Port Angeles at 6am on the 19th. My strategy is to get to Yakima by that evening and stay overnight there. I would then have a day to get south from Yakima to the area north of Madras.
If anyone has knowledge of the back roads or places I could camp near Horseheaven or that area I'd sure appreciate the input. I've driven through that way but never explored.
In a perfect world I'd find a spot on "the path of totality" to camp the night of the 20th so I could stay put for the event, then drive north later in the day.
Thanks for any input you may have.
Cheers,
Paul
Paul Rossmo - 1991 Defender 90 200 Tdi

swamijake
Born Free

Re: Solar Eclipse in Oregon August 21st 2017

#2 Post by swamijake » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:32 am

I'm also planning on heading down. Absolutely no plans as of yet and happy for input.
Jake

Christopher Lang
Apprentice

Re: Solar Eclipse in Oregon August 21st 2017

#3 Post by Christopher Lang » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:40 pm

We have a campsite in the state forest just north of Madras, and will be watching the eclipse outside of madras on the side of the road. I'd imagine it won't look as sparsely populated as it does on google earth right now! I think we will have to get to our viewing location pretty early in the morning. There's a great app called eclipse timer, you can learn about that on one of the Smarter Every Day youtube videos.

The day after we are headed down to Crystal Crane hot-springs, and to the lava tubes to do some exploring.