Note: This forum is paid for and managed by the Rover-Landers of BC club. Forum registration and use is free and does not require you to join our club. However, we do encourage you to become a member and participate in our club activites. Our online club membership form is available at: Club Membership.

Tire reccomendations

pleask
Junior Craftsman

Tire reccomendations

#1 Post by pleask » Thu May 10, 2018 4:20 pm

My buddy who owns this Land Rover (109) is going to drive it purely on the the road, no off road stuff (well, he does not plan on it).

He (and I) have no idea what make/brand and size, of tires to get, any suggestions please?

Thanks, Pat

TimberPig
Beyond Recovery

Re: Tire reccomendations

#2 Post by TimberPig » Thu May 10, 2018 8:53 pm

Stock size for a 109 is 7.50-16, which the metric equivalent is 235-85/16.

Brand and tread is subjective, but for mostly street use, any decent AT should work well, with milder tread patterns being more street biased. Pick your favorite brand and a tread design you like and they will work fine for the relatively undemanding use he is planning.

rayhyland
Missing Link

#3 Post by rayhyland » Fri May 11, 2018 7:15 am

It’s not a performance vehicle, so if it’s strictly for trundling down the road, any tire in the above size will work. Get a basic street tire designed for pickup trucks and it should be quiet and durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ray Hyland
BCOverlandRally.com, NWOverlandRally.com
I drive a 113 (a 110 and three Series 1s)

Rob
Missing Link

#4 Post by Rob » Sat May 12, 2018 6:47 am

I've had good success with BF Goodrich. I've had the All-terrains on Defenders, RRCs and Disco 1's with good success, decent off-road, they have the snowflake symbol and not too noisy on the highway. I've had the BFG mud-terrains on a Defender, pretty good off-road but noisy on the pavement and slippery on wet roads. BFGs can be expensive and for a more budget-priced option consider the Canadian Tire "Total-Terrains". I had a set on my Disco 2, very nice on the road, not bad off road (not as aggressive as the BFGs), wore very well on the heavy Disco2 and came with a great warranty option at about 65% the cost 9at that time) of the BFG ATs. 235-85R16 is close to the original 7:50-16s that would have been on it originally.

Regards, Rob