Note: This forum is paid for and managed by the Rover-Landers of BC club. Forum registration and use is free and does not require you to join our club. However, we do encourage you to become a member and participate in our club activites. Our online club membership form is available at: Club Membership.

Trim galvanizing

troy
Crank Case

Trim galvanizing

#1 Post by troy » Tue May 07, 2019 1:52 pm

Hoping someone can point me to a good galvanizing facility , looking to get all the trim pieces done . Iam a little concerned about having stuff lost . Someone told me that they had some pieces done and the finish didn't look so great , I really don't want to paint the trim or have it powder coated but if the galvanizing doesn't look like the original ....... Any suggestions ? Troy

ANDYD
Defender of the World

Re: Trim galvanizing

#2 Post by ANDYD » Fri May 10, 2019 11:40 pm

Most people in the Lower Mainland go to Silver City Galvanizing.
The club did a walk through at their factory quite a few years back and they were friendly and helpful.
Maybe some one who has been there more recently can give us some feedback?
1991 Defender 110 / 2018 Evoque / 1956 Series 1- 86

Bill E.
Solihull Foreman

#3 Post by Bill E. » Mon May 13, 2019 6:03 pm

Silver City does quality work and I haven't ever had anything go missing. Small pieces can be a problem for them and imperfections are part of the game with hot dip galvanizing. They have a centrifuge to spin off excess zinc on very small pieces but they only use it for certain jobs. Best to go down and talk to them directly for their opinion. They have a minimum charge of $150.00 so it's a good idea to accumulate a bit of stuff or piggyback on a friends order for best economy. Preparation is important, sandblasted or new paint free surfaces are needed. You also need to make sure there are drain holes drilled in anything that could fill up or has a sealed air pocket, they will inspect to make sure. They always tell you it is a five day turn around but if you talk nicely to them and they're not swamped with orders it can be just a few days. Just for your reference, I had an order that weighed 80 pounds before galvanizing and they charged me the minimum.

cbalme
Manifold Destiny

#4 Post by cbalme » Mon May 13, 2019 7:58 pm

Troy, if you are interested in splitting the order I am also going to be getting my cappings re-galvanized possibly with another member from the Island but I'm not sure. I haven't done any prep yet but it wouldn't take me that long to get ready I just need to find some free time in between work and other commitments.

I have heard good things about Silver City and was going to take my parts there as well.
Colin

1960 Series II 109 Pickup
1977 Series III Lightweight
1987 110 Station Wagon

troy
Crank Case

#5 Post by troy » Mon May 13, 2019 9:25 pm

I will contact them I think tomorrow and talk to them , iam going to have to ship my stuff being in the Kootenays , I contacted a place in Calgary and have a family member there that can take the cappings there for me but after talking to someone there iam not sure if I want to do that . He said it's industrial galvanizing and will be quite a bit thicker .