Removing Tripical roof - pro's and cons advice requested

pleask
Know it all

Removing Tripical roof - pro's and cons advice requested

#1 Post by pleask » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:15 pm

Just removed the roof (full restoration underway) of my buddies '61 109" Safari wagon and we of course want the roof painted (green).

I noticed that to remove the tropical rood a gazillion rivets need to be drilled out/ground off. My question is, is it REALLY worth it?

My thought was the painter can paint far enough in no one will ever see what is not painted, then when the paint is dry it can be masked off for the tropical roof to be painted (white).

This is a full restoration, but not a concurs just a make it nice to drive restoration. I could really use your advice please.
Thanks, pat

The_Anachronist
Over Inflated

Re: Removing Tripical roof - pro's and cons advice requested

#2 Post by The_Anachronist » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:32 pm

There’s really nothing to advise you on... remove the sun shield and paint all surfaces, or don’t if you decide not to.
I am in exactly the same situation, with the same decision to make - and I haven’t decided!
1963 S2a 109 Station Wagon, restoration started Oct. 17, 2015.

Kelster1055
Judge Dredd Wannabe

Re: Removing Tripical roof - pro's and cons advice requested

#3 Post by Kelster1055 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:12 pm

I have a Series Tropical Roof to restore as well.

I believe there's a source for the new vents on the interweb, but they are pricey.

I think once you've stripped the headliner, it might be a good idea to add sound deadener material such damplifier pro.

I can't see removing the rivets makes any sense unless you have dented metal to replace.

Kelly

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk