Note: Registered users of the Rover-Landers forum are not automatically Rover-Landers club members. If you wish to join our club, please follow the instructions at Rover-Landers Membership

99 P38, Need help..with making it dependable.

96rangeal
Apprentice

99 P38, Need help..with making it dependable.

#1 Post by 96rangeal » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:32 pm

I am not new to Range Rover, my last P38 was 96, with lots of problems, including the harness behind the head on right side shorting out. My present one needs a bit of t.l.c. I am getting on with my age already, and am not so crisp anymore, long time on retirement already, and still living "off grid" in Quesnel area. I offer a short stay in my house in the middle of bush, with good fishing lake nearby, and my kayak for YOUR FAMILY, in exchange for help with my Rover, just to check it out and help if possible.
It was on a trip to Vancouver a few weeks ago, and when I brought it back, it refuses to start. I did order the fuel pump, as I suspect it failing, and hope to have it here soon, I will change it, as I already cut the opening for it, and tried my old pump from the other 96 Rover, but no avail. I am hoping to make it run, and perhaps make it my daily. Here in Quesnel, I do not believe there are too many proficient people in that vehicle. If you or one of your friends is interested in spending some time in Quesnel's Caribou area, to see the wild life, and do some fishing as well, but not be forced to pay the accommodation, please talk to me.

harv
Filbert Flange

Re: 99 P38, Need help..with making it dependable.

#2 Post by harv » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:30 am

You've probably looked at rangerovers.net There are quite a number of threads on the not starting issue. Hopefully your fuel pump fixes it, but it's certainly not the only possible problem.
Nice vehicle choice. I've had mine for about 10 months now, certainly not without issues. So far I don't have any experience with the not starting issue, so I can't weigh in on it. Good luck with it.
Harv
1963 S2A 88"
1997 P38 4.6HSE

96rangeal
Apprentice

#3 Post by 96rangeal » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:26 pm

...well!...well...well...!!! I have located the problem!... Fuel tank is full of gas with diesel!.. I did bring it home, parked it, just where it stood on last drop of gas, and decided to top it up with fuel from jerry can. That jerry can was filled up at Petro Can, at some point. Red jerry can is GAS!!!... Don't assume!.. Who was filling it up, did put DIESEL!!!...in all four of them!.. No surprize!..All generators went down, Ford truck, and Range Rover fell too into it. Pumped out the fuel!!!...(after fiddling with changing pumps, and not realizing that the fuel is not evaporating dry of my plastic gloves!!!), and filled up the tank with gallon of fresh gasoline, cranking over for 15 min, and it started coughing, and spattering, and finally it fired up!..Really great experience, to have just in wrong time!.. Now it is running!..all is good!..

harv
Filbert Flange

#4 Post by harv » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:18 pm

Wow, nice easy and cheap fix! My understanding is that the bit of residual diesel left, mixed in a full tank of gas won't hurt anything, maybe a little hard on the Cat's? Great news!
I don't think I've ever had a vehicle I enjoy driving as much as my P38. I've only done a bit of fairly light off roading, but it seems to do really well.
Harv
1963 S2A 88"
1997 P38 4.6HSE

96rangeal
Apprentice

#5 Post by 96rangeal » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:49 pm

My love for this vehicle started with my dear wife, who passed away a couple of years ago now. She was half paralyzed so it was hard to get her into the vehicle, though I had a Toyota mini van then!..and it was not so comfy. I did take her a lot out around Okanagan, so she was so happy, that decided that I need to change my wheels. We did. 96 Rover. Good and though not so reliable, but worked out most bugs in it, and it was serving till we moved to Quesnel, ...bush, where I am presently. I am probably going to move back, though because too far to visit my children, and for them to take time off to see me, is just too much. They do, but... Now, this one is 99 4,6L... and is not total beauty, but is running, and am thinking of selling and moving down south..