Note: Registered users of the Rover-Landers forum are not automatically Rover-Landers club members. If you wish to join our club, please follow the instructions at Rover-Landers Membership

Ordering a Wiring Harness

cbalme
Cross Member

Ordering a Wiring Harness

#1 Post by cbalme » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:50 pm

It's coming to the point where I should order a wiring harness to have it ready. I've decided on an AutoSparks loom because it's cheaper and tailored to your vehicle, unlike a Painless loom. (Compared to the Painless loom I was looking at it was a couple hundred dollars less) I was looking at Autosparks website and was going through the right steps to find my harness but my engine isn't an option.

There is only an option for a 2.0L Petrol, but I have a 2.25L. Will it be fine to order? I think I'll contact them first...

I could order a wiring loom from a IIA and then the 2.25L is an option, but I'd like to avoid that just in case.
Colin

The_Anachronist
Over Inflated

Re: Ordering a Wiring Harness

#2 Post by The_Anachronist » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:29 pm

I have heard that they are good to talk to once you get hold of them, but it can be hard to get hold of them. YMMV.
1963 S2a 109 Station Wagon, restoration started Oct. 17, 2015.

ANDYD
Defender of the World

#3 Post by ANDYD » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:19 pm

I would think the 2a loom with the 2.25 option would work well, the worst case scenario you will have a couple of extra wires. Might even be useful to have some extra wires, you may even use them for an upgrade or two.

But as you say, if not in a mad rush best to try and get hold of them to confirm before ordering...
1991 Defender 110 / 2003 Discovery / 1956 Series 1- 86

cbalme
Cross Member

#4 Post by cbalme » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:44 am

I sent them an email last night, and they told me that the wiring loom for the 2.0L will work. So that is what I'll order if I go with Autosparks.
Colin

mepham55
Drip Dry

#5 Post by mepham55 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:18 pm

I highly recommend the auto sparks loom. I used it on my truck and it was accurate and looks good as well. Keep in mind you have to order the headlight loom, alternator conversion and turn signal loom separately (at least I had to) which adds to the price. What year is your 109? Positive or negative earth?

Matt

1955 S1 107”
1959 S2 SWB
1966 S2a SWB
2006 LR3

cbalme
Cross Member

#6 Post by cbalme » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi Matt

I've heard very good things about the Autosparks loom as well. I justed emailed them about whether I had to buy all the separate looms, thanks for confirming that. I liked the original price much more without everything added on...

But, with all the extras it still comes out at $120 CAD less than a 21 Circuit Painless Loom.

I plan on doing an alternator conversion on my truck which is a bit of a mix of Land Rovers to make one. It has a Series III Chassis from the 80s and a 3MB Petrol. Originally it was a 1960 so it would've had Positive Earth? I'll do the Negative Ground conversion while it's all in pieces and I also don't have a Generator from either of my motors.

There is an option for a 2 Speed Wiper, but I don't think I have those. I only have the motors that go on the Windscreen Frame which I believe are single speed. Did your harness come with the wiring for the two little motors?
Colin

mepham55
Drip Dry

#7 Post by mepham55 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:59 pm

Yes my harness came with the wiper leads for the individual wiper motors. The 2 speed motor is the much later series 2a one. I’d defiantly recommend ordering the loom with the alternator conversion already done by auto sparks. No only is it tidier, but it’s safer as well they use the correct gauge wires for the much higher outputs of alternators. You will have to change the alternator plug end from the Lucas to the AC Delco 10si plug ($5) or maybe autosparks can do that for you as well? It’s a pretty standard 3 wire plug used in millions of cars!

Matt

1955 S1 107”
1959 S2 SWB
1966 S2a SWB
2006 LR3

cbalme
Cross Member

#8 Post by cbalme » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi Matt, thanks for answering my questions. Is there an advantage to using the AC Delco Alternator? Because I already have 2 or 3 Lucas alternators kicking around from the 2.5 TD disaster.
Colin