Oliver and Colin's 1960 Series II rebuild.

Use this forum to post your description of ongoing projects. Please use the [img] - [/img] codes to display your photos rather than just linking to a photo album! Also make sure your photos are sized sensibly for the web!
cbalme
Cross Member

Re: Oliver and Colin's 1960 Series II rebuild.

#151 Post by cbalme » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:19 pm

Well, it seems as though it's two steps forward one step back so far with the painting of this truck. I said in my last post that I didn't care how the paint turned out, but I changed my mind. The bulkhead had rough sections and I tried to wet sand them just a bit too much and sanded through to the primer. I also missed a huge spot so it needs to go back in the booth. At the same time I will paint the wings and hood I think.

Most of the other parts turned out very good but some of them need redoing. Here's what it looks like right now, it's beginning to resemble a truck again!

I had a huge debacle with the radiator shroud as well, it turns out the previous owner had installed a series 1 shroud and had just mangle it to make it fit. This shroud has the hole sitting about an inch lower than the standard Series 2 shroud. If anyone has one they are willing to sell it would be greatly appreciated, although I've been told they are not necessary. Here's the shroud interfering with the fan.

There is a visible difference between the two shrouds

Series 1

Series 2

The radiator sans shroud for the moment.

Also "restored" the heating system over the weekend. It's a Kodiak MkII so unfortunately it only has the very small heater pipes, but I figured there was no use upgrading to a MkIII or MkIV since it is only heating a small space inside the pickup cab. Unfortunately, my heater did not come with the ducting or cowl that forces the air into the matrix, I am also looking for one of those off of a MkII if anyone has one lying around. I have a feeling that someone has upgraded this heater with a larger matrix in the past as well, which should also compensate for the smaller diameter pipes. I have not tested the motor yet but everything has been flushed out and cleaned up.

All the ducting inside the cab has been painting nicely with a few coats of gloss black.

Hoping to get the bulkhead repainted on Friday along with the other bits and then give it a good week to cure, then it will stay on for good!
Colin

franko
Master Cylinder

#152 Post by franko » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:51 am

Great progress Colin. Also nice to meet up and chat rovers yesterday 😊

cbalme
Cross Member

#153 Post by cbalme » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:54 pm

Beginning to put all bits back on the bulkhead. I'm having trouble remembering where everything goes so if anyone sees anything amiss just let me know

So far the steering wheel and one vent is installed, that may not seem like a lot but it took a very long time to line everything up and shim it.

Also installed the choke cable and starter button, now I just need to figure out how to wire it. I am assuming you ground the starter to the strengthening brack bolts? Sort of like this?

Got the new shroud in and it fits as it should! No idea why there was a Series 1 shroud installed before.

I'm also having an issue with the parabolic springs, They are touching the frame with only the engine installed. I tried installing military shackles but that makes the truck sit too high and the shocks are overextending. I think I may just cut the outer wrap off but if anyone has any other suggestions they would be useful. I have a set of LWB rear shackles that I could try using on the front, although wouldn't that mess with the steering geometry?

A few photos to help visualize what I'm dealing with.

The axle sits very high at the moment, I have an ex military frame so it is installed in the lower hole at the moment

Colin

mepham55
Drip Dry

#154 Post by mepham55 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Looks great Colin, this is going to be a nice truck! Don’t worry too much about the springs until you’ve completely assembled the truck. Leave the shackles just snugged up with the bolts and the nuts hand tight. They will settle and move a lot once you have all the weight in the truck and drive it. My parabolics also touch the frame at the rear of the front springs, I think the main leaf wrap should be tighter around the bushing but I don’t design/make these things. All of my trucks in the past have had dents in the frame where the rear of the front spring has contacted the frame.
Also, cut that top rad hose down a bit, it looks a little kinked!
Matt

1955 S1 107”
1959 S2 SWB
1966 S2a SWB
2006 LR3

cbalme
Cross Member

#155 Post by cbalme » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 am

Hi Matt, I was looking at the frame and it seems as though the rear mount for the front spring is drilled farther up on the frame rail. I'll have a better look at my other LWB frames but for now, I think I'll put it back to normal. I would've thought if the spring was touching it would make for a very rough ride.

Yes the hose is kinked, I am waiting to put the wings on so I know how much needs cut off.
Colin

island dormy
Slave Cylinder

#156 Post by island dormy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi Colin

A lot of folks seem to have issues with the military wrap hitting the frame. I know Greg just cut his off. Land rover is the only company I have ever seen that does this military wrap thing. ( It is supposed to be a safety device) if the main leaf ever breaks the military wrap would hold the spring in position.

Sure hope my new parabolics don't have this issue.

Your Rover is looking great by the way.

Victor

island dormy
Slave Cylinder

#157 Post by island dormy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:11 am

Hi Again Colin

After dropping by and looking at your project last week and looking at the problem with the front military wrap on the springs you mentioned that these were 15-20 year old brand new parabolics that hade never been installed on a running rover.
At about that time frame the military wraps were manufactured with too big a loop and hit the frame, the 4 new ones I just received a month ago from Rocky mountain are fine and look to be very good heavy duty springs.

So you bringing it to the big Island Rover event in June of 2019? And by bringing it I mean in running condition not on a trailer.

Victor

cbalme
Cross Member

#158 Post by cbalme » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi Victor, should be on the road by then I hope. The to-do list is getting shorter and shorter. I think I will just cut the wrap off. Once all that painting is done there is just a lot of electrics and hydraulic lines to install and putting it all back together. Sounds simple right?

Got a few little jobs done this past week.

Most of the accelerator linkage is installed, just need to make some hole bigger for the pedal. It was stiff at first but I gave all the parts a good oiling and now it snaps back as it should. Hand throttle works nice and smooth as well.

Fixed a safety hazard. Before this wire was dangling beside the exhaust.

Both flaps are on now

But the seals I bought from paddocks are JUNK, they do not even let the vent go down all the way once installed. I should've just gone with closed cell foam. Thankfully they weren't expensive.

The good style of bonnet rest strip installed. Even though it does not compliment the green as much as the brown would've I'm sure it'll turn brown soon enough.

Some nice new rubber pedal pads installed.

I would've got so much more done if the 110 had not demanded most of my time, the 1-year-old Panhard rod bushings which were supposed to be OEM only lasted a year, and then I had to install a winch which took much longer than anticipated.

Colin

BlkP38
Wing Nut

#159 Post by BlkP38 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:20 pm

Hi Colin,
Clamp a 2 x4 across the noise flaps and the seals should settle OK.
Eric.