Dave's Series 2A Rebuild...

Use this forum to post your description of ongoing projects. Please use the [img] - [/img] codes to display your photos rather than just linking to a photo album! Also make sure your photos are sized sensibly for the web!
DrRangelove
Tomb Raider

Re: Dave's Series 2A Rebuild...

#51 Post by DrRangelove » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 pm

I say no every year, but there is a real possibility that we'll be up and running for the van isle rally this year!

DrRangelove
Tomb Raider

#52 Post by DrRangelove » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:40 pm

The Fellas at Sussex automotive in Parksville are taking care of some mechanical items for me while we move house.

DrRangelove
Tomb Raider

#53 Post by DrRangelove » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:50 am

Well, yesterday was a very special day... for the first time in about 5 years the 2.25 petrol engine in the Landy was run, and for the first time in about 25 years the wheels on this vehicle have moved under its own power!

https://youtu.be/Us2eCz4eAKk

https://youtu.be/T-YlkS8EZTc

DrRangelove
Tomb Raider

#54 Post by DrRangelove » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:55 am

Some more pictures of progress...

Gearbox in

Brake/clutch lines, alternator in

ANDYD
Defender of the World

#55 Post by ANDYD » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:09 pm

Hey Dave ..Great progress :spinning:

I have to say you are looking a lot older in the videos than I remember...... LR rebuilds will do that to you :occasion5:
1991 Defender 110 / 2003 Discovery / 1956 Series 1- 86

DrRangelove
Tomb Raider

#56 Post by DrRangelove » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:37 am

A little video of the Rover hauling firewood around Horne Lake...

https://youtu.be/WrYoyPrgVzQ

Its runs and drives. Everything is held on with no more than one bolt, but its dun to get out there and actually use it!

DrRangelove
Tomb Raider

#57 Post by DrRangelove » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:15 pm

Does anyone know how to upload photos without using photobucket?

DrRangelove
Tomb Raider

#58 Post by DrRangelove » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:20 pm

cbalme
Over Inflated

#59 Post by cbalme » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:49 pm

Looks great Dave! I see it's plated now so hopefully we'll see it on the next outing!

I use imgur to upload my photos but there is a way to do it in the forum.
Colin

DrRangelove
Tomb Raider

#60 Post by DrRangelove » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:34 pm

Yeah I guess I should add some background to that photo lol

I got the truck plated and insured about 6 weeks ago so have been driving it around the local area a fair amount, which has identified more bugs/wrinkles that need to be ironed out!

First up the hand brake was binding and locking up the wheels/transmission - fixed that use by slackening off the adjuster on the hand brake drum. After that little episode left me stranded on the side of the road (I always travel with at least vice grips now!) the front brakes started binding up... I bled the lines to relieve a bit of the pressure then slackened off the nuts on the master cylinder which worked for a while but I'm still binding slightly so will have to take a closer look at that. The front brakes are running quite hot so I haven't been driving it around much recently.... I'm not 100% convinced that my issues don't stem from poorly fitting brake shoes - remember a few pages back I had a really hard time getting the drums on over the shoes even with the adjusters backed all the way off... I hate dealing with taking shoes on and off but at some point I think I'm going to take off some of the metal where the shoes fits into the cylinder before I wear away all my lining!

Oh and I discovered that my driver side front bearing had completely disintegrated (see pics below) after less than 500 miles since installing. I blame myself more than the parts though - between running the brakes/hub hot and having a lose drive member over the winter that leaked oil out/water in I think I compromised the bearing. Still, I was quite surprised by how quickly it failed!

Toasted bearing:

Lots of burnt brake dust!:

New lawn ornament:

All buttoned up with new hubcap:

Rear view:

DrRangelove
Tomb Raider

#61 Post by DrRangelove » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Thanks Mepham55 (Matt) - adjusting the pushrod on the brake MC seems to have solved by brake binding issue... I had to wind the two nuts in quite a bit, at least half way up the threaded rod but it seems to have done the trick. Not sure how to gauge the 1/16" "free play" in the cylinder so I kind of eye balled it but I did the 20ish mile run into Parksville today from Horne Lake and the drums are no longer hot to the touch. The pedal is a bit softer than before and I'll need to adjust the snail cams a bit more once the shoes have bedded in (pulling to the right slightly with adjusters backed off fully) but I'm just happy I'm not cooking my brakes every time I drive it...

The front brakes are squealing quite a bit though - does anyone have any tips for eliminating this, or is it one of those things that goes away once the shoes have bedded in?

Cheers

Dave