LR3 build

Use this forum to post your description of ongoing projects. Please use the [img] - [/img] codes to display your photos rather than just linking to a photo album! Also make sure your photos are sized sensibly for the web!
Mohan
Know it all

LR3 build

#1 Post by Mohan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:53 am

I've acquired a used 2005 LR3. It's a Java Black SE V8 with a black interior.

I've got all the past service records and it was well taken care of mechanically. I got a good deal on it, because more recently it sat un-used for an extended period of time. There's a bunch of interior trim pieces that are broken / missing. There's a rather large dent in the rear pillar from backing into a structure in a parking garage. The roof glass has a long crack across it. The back up sensors need attention. There's an SRS airbag light on the dash: probably from a plug or wire under the drivers seat when I moved the seat back.

The plan is to start with all the fluids and maintenance requirements. The first purchase will be a IId Scan tool. LCA's and sway bar bushings need doing. The alternator needs replacing. On the Disco3-UK website I found a 'must do checklist for new LR3 owners' that I'll slowly pick my way through too.

Once I get ahold of the big maintenance issues, I'm planning a build with a slant towards an overlanding / bicycle hauling / camping rig.
I'm happy to once again have a Land Rover, and I'm looking forward to meeting some Rover-Lander members and joining the club.

The truck was covered inside and out in thick layers of old dust. I've put some elbow grease into it. Two days of washing and cleaning later... :shock: It was fun and satisfying to see what a gem was under all that dirt, and at the same time I got a good glimpse into what's broken and in need of attention on the truck.
I've cleaned inside the engine bay, cleared the sunroof drains, defogged the headlights, and fixed some interior fittings (glovebox latch, sagging headliner, power seat controls).
Attachments
IMG_1100.jpg
IMG_1100.jpg (89.83 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
Last edited by Mohan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.
2005 Land Rover LR3 SE V8
VE7AZM

BlkP38
Wing Nut

Re: LR3 build

#2 Post by BlkP38 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:57 pm

Stephen,
Could not see the images, but maybe that's just me.
Anyway, there are a few of us on the big island that get together for excursions. Right now I think many of the backroad routes are closed due to fire closures, but keep an eye on Vancouver Island Events.
I am in Maple Bay if you are passing.
Eric.

Mohan
Know it all

#3 Post by Mohan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:45 pm

I'll learn how to properly submit images at some point in the future.
Last edited by Mohan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VE7AZM

Mohan
Know it all

#4 Post by Mohan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:45 pm

I've been slowly picking away at the 3.
Jobs done include: inspecting various plugs to clear the airbag light on the dash, solder repair the heated driver's seat element (nice to have heated seats again!), LCA's (with Polybushes) & rear sway bar bushings (thanks to Rovalution for those two fixes), hood latch repair, custom receiver for a rear bike rack, reflective close cell foam window inserts (for stealth camping), ashtray/coin tray fix, glove box fix, blower door lubed to remove farting noise, and diagnosed a bad parking sensor.
I need to buy a IID Scan tool soon.
I'm liking the truck very much.
Attachments
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG (115.15 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
Last edited by Mohan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VE7AZM

scraig
Little Wheel

#5 Post by scraig » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:56 am

On my list is a heated seat repair....oh the burdens of luxury!
Stewart

LR3

Mohan
Know it all

#6 Post by Mohan » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:40 pm

With the recent repairs done (sway bars and LCA's) I had planned to tag along on tomorrow's Vancouver Island trek.
Unfortunately, I was driving down a gravel road yesterday and the rear window exploded into a thousand pieces. This was in Comox during the snow storm so when I parked to clear some of the wreckage the back of the truck was quickly filled with blowing snow. Crazy! I jury rigged a temporary plywood cover. Monday it goes in for a new piece of glass.
Maybe I'll make the next Vancouver Island event? :roll:
Attachments
IMG_1416.JPG
IMG_1416.JPG (111.73 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
Last edited by Mohan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VE7AZM

Mohan
Know it all

#7 Post by Mohan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:36 pm

I got my rear glass replaced. Thankfully I had a good deductible, as it sure was pricey! Looks like I need a new rear wiper arm because now the blade doesn't contact the glass on it's arc.
This week I built a sleeping platform in the back. Both sections are removable. When the front section is out, the middle row of seats can be raised and the back section fits nicely against them. I used 3/4" birch ply, indoor/outdoor carpet, and pre-drilled steel 'L' brackets from Home Depot. I'm happy with how it turned out. I recently took a ferry trip and fell asleep back there in comfort!
I've also mounted the GPS from my motorcycle into the empty hole in the middle of the 3's dash. It's an unobtrusive mount, and will easily move back and forth from my bike to the 3.
My buddy welded up a hitch receiver for me. Now I can put my bicycle rack on the back. I've also got a Yakima set of bars on the roof now. I'm hoping to find a cargo box to go up there.
This is all in anticipation of a trip south to Arizona over Christmas. I'm pretty excited about that!
Mostly importantly: I got my ROVERLANDERS decal on the 3.
Attachments
IMG_1461.jpg
IMG_1461.jpg (75.29 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
Last edited by Mohan on Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VE7AZM

scraig
Little Wheel

#8 Post by scraig » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Is it just me or are the pictures not coming through?
Stewart

LR3

Mohan
Know it all

#9 Post by Mohan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:19 pm

scraig wrote:Is it just me or are the pictures not coming through?
I'm hoping I have this photo issue sorted now?
VE7AZM

TimberPig
Know it all

#10 Post by TimberPig » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:35 pm

Mohan wrote:
scraig wrote:Is it just me or are the pictures not coming through?
I'm hoping I have this photo issue sorted now?
They're coming through fine for me, so likely a settings issue if they're not working for others.

cbalme
Cross Member

#11 Post by cbalme » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:28 pm

I can see them now, I couldn't before.

Nice LR3, will hopefully see you on the next run. (No Idea when that is.)

If only I could convince my Mum to let me convert the back of the LR3 into a camper...
Colin

Mohan
Know it all

#12 Post by Mohan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 pm

cbalme wrote:
If only I could convince my Mum to let me convert the back of the LR3 into a camper...
I've built it in a way that doesn't cut, damage or change the interior. I can take the whole thing out in 3 minutes. Turnbuckles hold it down to the existing cargo points. It cost me about $300 in the end. I can take more detailed photos of the framing if someone wants to copy it.
I'm thinking I can also take out the third row seating to gain a bit more storage space on longer trips if needed. Here are some shots of the middle section removed, the mid-row seats up, and the storage space beneath them:
Attachments
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1504.JPG (87.09 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
IMG_1503.JPG
IMG_1503.JPG (116.33 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
IMG_1502.JPG
IMG_1502.JPG (48.6 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
VE7AZM

Mohan
Know it all

#13 Post by Mohan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:21 pm

There was a thick hazy ring inside my left headlight that has bothered me for awhile, so I took it out to discover that one of the access ports on the back of the light was undone. It must have been improperly done up during a bulb change. Moisture and critters were entering thru there.
There was all sorts of stuff rattling inside it, so I took it apart to clean it out and clear the lens.
Since I had to open it anyways, I did the headlight 'de-tango' mod:
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/headlamp ... 553f8b4d2d
Well,actually it is only a partial detango. My exception was I kept the side marker/reflector and a portion of the orange over the turn signal - because of NAS / US regulations and laws and all that... :roll:
I like the slightly 'modernized' look that leans towards an LR4. Probably wouldn't have bothered if I didn't have to open the light anyways. Just gotta do the other light now.
Attachments
IMG_1498.jpg
IMG_1498.jpg (58.1 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
IMG_1499.JPG
IMG_1499.JPG (104.06 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
VE7AZM

Mohan
Know it all

#14 Post by Mohan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:19 pm

I'm happy to report that my 3 is getting lots of use and finally getting dirty!
I attended my first Rover-landers run this weekend, spending the day exploring the Chemainus River Provincial Park area with a great group of folks. It was a good day. I’m already looking forward to the next run.
IMG_1799.jpg
IMG_1799.jpg (65.44 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
Over Christmas we escaped south in the 3 to Arizona, New Mexico, and California with our bicycles strapped to the rig for some cycling in warmer climates. The truck performed flawlessly and was very comfortable to sleep & live in.
There seems to be a never-ending list going on the 3, but at least the ‘needs’ are getting dealt with and checked off before the ‘wants’. We treated ourselves to a Christmas present of a propane-fueled campfire ring. That made a huge difference in wanting to spend the evenings outside in areas where open fires were not permitted. I’ve finally got a iid scantool on the way in the mail, I’ve started putting together a list of essential spares and tools to stay in the truck, and I’m looking into a handheld radio for future outings with Rover-landers.
Future trips/runs on the horizon:
Founders Day sounds like fun.
Moab in May.
Vancouver island Roverlanders camp-out in June?
roswell.jpg
roswell.jpg (199.95 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
VE7AZM

oldgravy
Little Wheel

#15 Post by oldgravy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:01 pm

That looks really sharp! Nice work on the sleeping platform.

rgallant
Blithering Barnacle

#16 Post by rgallant » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:51 am

Nice job on the sleeping platform, I plan on converting the one I use in my D2 to something similar
2004 Discovery - stockish

Mohan
Know it all

#17 Post by Mohan » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 pm

rgallant wrote:Nice job on the sleeping platform, I plan on converting the one I use in my D2 to something similar
oldgravy wrote:That looks really sharp! Nice work on the sleeping platform.
Thanks! I'm quite pleased with it. I don't think there's much I'd change on it now that I've used it on a few trips.

I'm planning on attending the Founder's Day event, so if you want to see it in use... I'll be sleeping on it friday night :)

I recently found a deal on a GAP iid scan tool. I've got that up and running now. I've changed all the fluids under the truck, rebuilt the alternator, changed the LCA's, and have started a stash of essential spares (brake light switch, rear brake bulbs, etc.,etc.,).
I'm feeling like I'm on top of the maintenance now. I'm still having issues with moisture inside one of the headlights, so I'll tear that apart again soon. This time I plan on doing the full 'detango' on them with the chromed amber turn signal bulbs mod.
Oh - and for some unknown reason I decided to take the 3 to a truck wash yesterday in minus 5. :roll: I haven't washed it since well before my road trip south. Lotsa road salt on it. Nice to see the shiny black paint again, plus a few new 'BC racing stripes' from the last Roverlanders run. :)
I'm still really enjoying it all!
VE7AZM

Mohan
Know it all

#18 Post by Mohan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:19 pm

IMG_1846.jpg
IMG_1846.jpg (124.68 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
I finished the de-tango on the headlights today. I'm just waiting for the chromed-orange turn signal bulbs to arrive in the post.
I also got to work with the GAP tool today. I flashed some ECU's and played around with suspension heights. Very neat tool to have.
I bought an A-Protection bar off another Roverlander's member. It's missing the hardware though, so I've had to fabricate my own.
- Stephen
VE7AZM

Mohan
Know it all

#19 Post by Mohan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:59 pm

IMG_1856.JPG
IMG_1856.JPG (140.25 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
I measured and drilled the holes for the A-bar today. My DIY/home-made mounting brackets lined up nicely with the pre-existing threaded holes in the metal bumper framework. After the front end goes back together, the next step will be building my own mounts for securing the top of the A-bar to the truck under the hood. I plan on incorporating aux. light mounts into those mounts too.
Many thanks to Colin for welding some nuts onto the lower mounting brackets for me. They are strong and look good. :)
VE7AZM

Mohan
Know it all

#20 Post by Mohan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:01 pm

IMG_1864.jpg
IMG_1864.jpg (132.57 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
Bumper is installed! Yay! :D
VE7AZM

scraig
Little Wheel

#21 Post by scraig » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:45 am

Looking good Stephen :) Where did you get a deal on the GAP iid tool?
Stewart

LR3

Mohan
Know it all

#22 Post by Mohan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:40 am

scraig wrote: Where did you get a deal on the GAP iid tool?
I found a used one for sale on an LR3 forum. I saved about $200. The cheapest I've seen them new are from Lucky8:
https://www.lucky8llc.com/collections/d ... s-12/t-lr3
Mines the bluetooth version, so I can operate it from an iphone.

I've flashed a couple of the ECU's with software that is included with the tool. A couple neat updates were:
- 3-flash turn signals (allows you too lightly touch the turn signal stalk for 3 flashes when passing)
- A clock placed in the middle of the instrument display
I also like the ability to play with the car configuration files to customize features and turn systems on or off.

I diagnosed a couple fault codes as well. GAP works with Bell Auto Services. You can input any fault code on their website and it'll translate it for you:
https://bellautoservices.co.uk/diagnostic-services/

I also bought a transmission flash from GAP that's not included with the tool. It modifies the shifting algorithms. It takes a couple cycles of driving for the changes to take effect, but already the shifting seems a bit smoother and has removed the 'thunk' it had when I put the pedal down from a rolling stop.

And I've been playing with the suspension heights a little. I've set the 'standard' height stance an inch higher, and added a slight forward rake. I could add another 3/4" to 1" yet, but then my current tires look a little small under the rig. :lol: Once these tires are done I'll look into some 265/65 R18 KO2's. Folks on this forum have recommended Cedar Tire, so I'll go there when the time comes.
VE7AZM

Mohan
Know it all

#23 Post by Mohan » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:30 pm

I've made a start into wiring some off-road lights to the A-bar.
I bought an oem factory switch from another local R-L member.
I made a template and cut into the dash where other LR3's have this switch mounted. It went smooth and I'm happy with the install.
I found a wiring diagram on an LR3 forum that uses the oem factory switch.
The actual lights I have are cheap aftermarket affairs. I'll upgrade someday when I find some better ones.
IMG_1879.JPG
IMG_1879.JPG (63.65 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
IMG_1880.JPG
IMG_1880.JPG (65.01 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
IMG_1881.JPG
IMG_1881.JPG (59.13 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
VE7AZM

Mohan
Know it all

#24 Post by Mohan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:50 pm