1965 Series IIa 109" Build

Use this forum to post your description of ongoing projects. Please use the [img] - [/img] codes to display your photos rather than just linking to a photo album! Also make sure your photos are sized sensibly for the web!
Koopsy
Master Craftsman

Re: 1965 Series IIa 109" Build

#21 Post by Koopsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:53 pm

cbalme wrote:Wow, that all looks really good! I like your shiny freewheeling hubs.

What are those tires? They look very good.

When I tried to repair my old bulkhead someone went crazy with the spot-welding.

Thanks for the Update, will it be on the road for Founders Day?
Thanks! It’s been a long time coming...
The tires are STA Super Traxions, they were the closest I could find that didn’t look too modern.

I’m hoping for next year to have it on the road. But I am planning to make the trip to attend founders day this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsa_m21
Wing Nut

#22 Post by bsa_m21 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:03 pm

All I can say is..... Your garage is waay too big and clean. :D

Great work!
Martin
=======
'52 S1 - Runcle
'96 Discovery 1 - Hothead
'80 Triumph TR7v8 (Rover 4L) - Myrtle

Koopsy
Master Craftsman

#23 Post by Koopsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:15 pm

bsa_m21 wrote:All I can say is..... Your garage is waay too big and clean. :D

Great work!
Oh it can never be too big... I don’t think I could ever have one big enough because then I’d just keep filling it up with more vehicles and tools!

Koopsy
Master Craftsman

#24 Post by Koopsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Here is right after I installed the bulk head

mepham55
Missing Link

#25 Post by mepham55 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:39 pm

That’s looking great! Very nice work. I like the “paint booth”, when I painted my truck I ended up painting all my tools with a nice limestone(best colour) dusting.
I agree, you can never have enough space. My garage/shop I just built is no where near big enough! I have my 1966 SWB and 1961 SWB both crammed in and now have 2 1959 SWB’s waiting outside for their turn!

Matt

1955 S1 107”
1959 S2 SWB
1961 S2 SWB
1966 S2a SWB
2006 LR3

Koopsy
Master Craftsman

#26 Post by Koopsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:52 pm

My goal was to start the engine and make sure everything was okay and that the transmission went into gear. I bought a brand new wiring harness with alternator conversion. It made the installation super easy and straightforward. I made my own alternator brackets as well. I had 2 radiators pressure tested and both leaked so I decided on getting a brand new one. I realized I forgot to paint the gauge and switch mounts so I cleaned everything up, painted, and put it back together. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Koopsy
Master Craftsman

#27 Post by Koopsy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:33 pm

mepham55 wrote:That’s looking great! Very nice work. I like the “paint booth”, when I painted my truck I ended up painting all my tools with a nice limestone(best colour) dusting.
I agree, you can never have enough space. My garage/shop I just built is no where near big enough! I have my 1966 SWB and 1961 SWB both crammed in and now have 2 1959 SWB’s waiting outside for their turn!

Matt
Haha yes the floor has a nice limestone dusted rectangle on it now. I’ll be putting down a tarp and I’m definitely going to step up the ventilation when I paint the rest...

I have a ‘70 SWB outside waiting its turn. It was complete until i started robbing a few parts here and there... it’s going to have to wait until the racecar is done. I don’t know where I’ll keep everything once they’re too nice to leave outside...

DrRangelove
Gunga Gin

#28 Post by DrRangelove » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:26 am

The standard of this build is impressive!

Koopsy
Master Craftsman

#29 Post by Koopsy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:42 pm

DrRangelove wrote:The standard of this build is impressive!
Thanks! One step at a time

Koopsy
Master Craftsman

#30 Post by Koopsy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:49 pm

Over some time off at Christmas I was determined to get it running. I finished up the wiring and used an old gauge I had to make sure it had oil pressure. Getting fuel to the carb was the hardest part, we finally determined that there wasn’t a good enough seal around the sediment bowl so I made a new gasket and it made a world of difference. Once that was sorted I hit the ignition and It was the easiest engine start up I’ve ever had, half a crank and it fired right up without an issue. The carb started to leak so I’ve ordered a rebuild kit. Image

Koopsy
Master Craftsman

#31 Post by Koopsy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:55 pm

So this is where I’m at now... finally...

The starter is sort of sluggish and before I could start the engine again to try and put it into gear, it was so weak it would barely turn it over. I tried to make a better ground to the frame and several different batteries but it didn’t make a difference. I’ve ordered some new brushes and I’ll give it a good clean inside. Hopefully that will make the difference. While I’m waiting for that I ran lines for the clutch and brakes. ImageImage

Koopsy
Master Craftsman

#32 Post by Koopsy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:17 pm

Replaced the brushes in the starter and it still turned slow so I went through all of the ground and power cables making better contact with the chassis and now it cranks like it never has before!

I received my custom gauges in the mail this week as well so I spent the weekend wiring them up. I used speedhut to create some awesome gauges to closely match the original and match the others best as possible. We also made up a little panel to house them, I think it turned out well!

ImageImageImage

Rambler
Half Shaft

#33 Post by Rambler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:37 pm

Those look super smart. Wasn’t aware if the speed hut site before. Thank you. I might try for something similar. Just need the land rover logo image to include :-)
- '61 Series 2 88" (project restoration)

Sold:
- '74 Series 3 88" (now sunning itself in the Carolina's)!

Koopsy
Master Craftsman

#34 Post by Koopsy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:41 pm

Rambler wrote:Those look super smart. Wasn’t aware if the speed hut site before. Thank you. I might try for something similar. Just need the land rover logo image to include :-)
Ya I hadn’t heard of them before and I got a set for the racecar and they worked great. You’re able to customize right on the site and then if you need other stuff done, you just email them and it’s a very reasonable price for custom work. Something I learnt this time around was to ask to have the speedhut logo removed. It’s $10 per gauge but makes them look more authentic without it. You could have them put the the smiths logo or whatever in its place! I had them put the Land Rover logo and then put the red bar from 100 degrees up on the water temp gauge like the original. They go on sale quite often as well, that’s the time to do it!

Rambler
Half Shaft

Re: 1965 Series IIa 109

#35 Post by Rambler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:43 pm

Koopsy wrote:
Rambler wrote:Those look super smart. Wasn’t aware if the speed hut site before. Thank you. I might try for something similar. Just need the land rover logo image to include :-)
Ya I hadn’t heard of them before and I got a set for the racecar and they worked great. You’re able to customize right on the site and then if you need other stuff done, you just email them and it’s a very reasonable price for custom work. Something I learnt this time around was to ask to have the speedhut logo removed. It’s $10 per gauge but makes them look more authentic without it. You could have them put the the smiths logo or whatever in its place! I had them put the Land Rover logo and then put the red bar from 100 degrees up on the water temp gauge like the original. They go on sale quite often as well, that’s the time to do it!
Thank you very much, that is great to hear. I will wait on their sales!
- '61 Series 2 88" (project restoration)

Sold:
- '74 Series 3 88" (now sunning itself in the Carolina's)!