The Rover-Landers of BC

Forum for Land Rover enthusiasts
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

----- Paid Advertisement -----

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:29 pm 
Crank Case

Got some more work done over the weekend.
Put in new outer wheel bearings and stub axle races

Rebuilt the front halfshafts with new UJs, distance pieces, bearing races and seal races. It all went back together quite easily with a 30 ton shop press.

Since now I'm waiting for more brake parts progress on the front axle has been halted, so I began taking apart the rear one.

Found an old piece of oily paper inside the hubcap, maybe to prevent oil getting out?

Also some writing on a halfshaft I can't decipher
All the rear halfshafts

I pulled the left side halfshaft out and it looked as if someone had chopped a little bit off the end, so I pulled the one from the donor axle, and it looked brand new! The lower one looks like someone took the grinder to it to make it fit.

Last edited by obalme on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:02 pm 
Defender of the World

Looking like good forward progress .....

I once had a bunch of old Series Parts from Australia marked in boxes from Dufor Automotive. They were a company that made Series parts way back in the good old days.
I wonder if the first word written on you diff shaft is "DUFOR"?

-Keep up the good work...
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:00 pm 
Crank Case

That seems to be correct. It looks like "DUFOR" then a part number.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:51 pm 
Terminal Condition

Not much forward progress over the past few months, got the rear axle taken apart, just need the time to put it back together. Picked up a Chassis from Bern, it's in really good condition, but was modified to fit a Station Wagon, so I'll have to chop off some of the brackets and weld new ones in, The rear crossmember is a little bent and battered in some places so I'll replace that with the one I have now. After a quick inspection this frame seems really solid! It's been undercoated, if I break some of it off it reveals some nice gloss black paint, which may be original. The outriggers for the gas tanks are slightly bent so they need beaten back into their correct positions.

I'm wondering whether it would be worth Galvanizing?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:01 pm 
Terminal Condition

Not much progress over the summer. Mostly fixed boats and messed about at work. Never had the time but I'll hopefully find some more. I did get the rear axle refurbished with new seals and brakes. The drums were too far out of spec so they were replaced with new ones. The front axle needs brakes and the hubs reassembled. Then I'll have good axles but no solid chassis to put them under...

The issue I'm facing now is removing the old undercoating. My strategy right now is to use a Tiger torch and heat it up so it just sort of melts off. The frame just seems to be coated in tar. Is it even worth removing? Becuase underneath it is fresh paint so can I get away with just repainting the parts without the undercoating or should I spend a week taking it off? If it doesn't come off now it never will is my thought on it.

I did discover a small crack in the frame underneath the body outrigger but it isn't from rust, most likely military abuse. The fuel tank outrigger will need replacing because it is bent very badly. The rear cross member has a dent in it which will need sorting. I have a new cross member but this one is held on so well I am afraid it will never be as strong as the original.

On the subject of previous posts and their unviewable photos. When I find the time I'll switch all the photos over to a different hosting site that isn't Photobucket. I reckon they're doing this because people only use them for this photo linking feature nowadays. If you are using Google Chrome there is an extension you can download that bypasses this feature and makes all the old photos visible again. I'm quite annoyed by their decision.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:07 am 
Defender of the World

Hi Colin,

Good to see that progress is continuing...
It looks like it has had a good coating of thick underseal. Depending on how far you want to go, its probably best to remove it all as some sections may be hiding something you cant see. (rust / cracks / bad welds etc) On saying that, a lot depends on what you plan to do with it once complete. Another approach would be to give it a good high pressure power washing and then recoat the bare sections with a similar type of under coating.
I have a spare Series 2/3 chassis outrigger that the previous owner must of purchased before realising that Series 1's are different. Your welcome to it if its the correct one that you need. It is a right hand (passenger side) out rigger. I can email you a photo if your interested so you can compare.

Cheers,
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:35 pm 
Terminal Condition

Thanks for the input Andy, I think I'll pressure wash it and see how it turns out. I may be interested in the outrigger, does it have a plate around it or is it just the outrigger?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:52 am 
Defender of the World

It does have plates on each side to assist with welding to the chassis...kind of like this one;

Attachments:
Series Outrigger.jpg
Series Outrigger.jpg [ 7.17 KiB | Viewed 577 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:58 pm 
Terminal Condition

ANDYD wrote:
It does have plates on each side to assist with welding to the chassis...kind of like this one;

Hi Andy, I don't think that's the one I need but thank you for the offer. My bulkhead outriggers are very solid on this frame.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:13 pm 
Terminal Condition

Got the front brakes assembled with the help of Victor, I told him there was lucky so he even got there early!

We had a bit of trouble in the beginning because the shoe never wanted to stay in place. One of us had to try and hold the shoe while the other used the fancy tool that looks like a modified screwdriver. I thought there must've been a better way so I went and grabbed the clamps we use for welding and clamped the shoe to the backing plate. I think this method should be adopted by the Haynes Manual, because I don't think they tell you how to do it at all!

In the next few days I'll get the hubs on and make 2 good freewheeling hubs out of the 4 alright ones I have lying around. After that the next step is to get a chassis to put over these axles.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:06 pm 
Terminal Condition

On Sunday I headed up to Comox to help Rob free up some space in his garage by taking bulkhead off his hands. (It was also an excuse to see his truck again, which is coming along nicely.) This should save me a lot of time at the rate I'm getting things done. It only needs a few small repairs that could be left alone but I'm going to fix them for the purist in me.

On the way back Victor and I made a detour to Horne Lake to see Dave's Series 2, which gave me even more inspiration to finish mine, maybe I'll have it on the road for the Rally in the Valley this year?

Got the Hubs on the front Axle but had to remove one of the Freewheeling hubs to pack it with grease since I forgot to.

I really should've followed in Andy's footsteps by assembling the axle lower to the ground, because I put it up there when it was light and then added a lot of weight to it. Luckily we own a backhoe (which may be slightly overkill) so we used that to pick the axle up and put it on the ground in front of the frame.

I need to put the springs on the axles and get the frame powerwashed in the next few days

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:36 pm 
Defender of the World

Good progress Colin .... and you have your wheels & tyres on before me ..... I better get a move on :bounce:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:53 pm 
Terminal Condition

Hi Andy, I think we are about equal in progress. Unlike you I don't have a frame to put those axles under. I'm hoping to paint it before it gets too cold.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:57 pm 
Terminal Condition

Lots of progress on the frame today. I'm trying to get it done before it gets too cold to paint. Last weekend I gave the frame, engine and gearbox a good cleaning. Lots of that undercoating came off with a good pressure washing on max.

New body mounts for the 3 Door body

Added supports which are similar to the original. They don't need to be pretty since I will never see them again.

Made up a new plate to go where the old one was on the rear crossmember

I also discovered that the front right frame rail is slightly bent, it shouldn't be too much of an issue though I hope :bounce:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:54 pm 
Terminal Condition

Started switching over the old images from Photobucket to Imgur, if anyone is interested. I will finish that in the next few days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next