The Rover-Landers of BC

Forum for Land Rover enthusiasts
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

----- Paid Advertisement -----

Post subject: LR3 build
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:53 am 
Apprentice

They say the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. Hello, my name is Stephen and I have a sickness... for Land Rovers. :tard:
In the past I've owned a 1966 IIa 109 and then a 1995 Discovery I. Now, I've acquired a used 2005 LR3. It's a Java Black SE V8 with a black interior. Apparently my affliction for Land Rovers is far from over. My road to recovery continues... :sad4:

I've got all the past service records and it was well taken care of mechanically. I got a good deal on it, because more recently it sat un-used for an extended period of time. There's a bunch of interior trim pieces that are broken / missing. There's a rather large dent in the rear pillar from backing into a structure in a parking garage. The roof glass has a long crack across it. The back up sensors need attention. There's an SRS airbag light on the dash: probably from a plug or wire under the drivers seat when I moved the seat back.

The plan is to start with all the fluids and maintenance requirements. The first purchase will be a IId Scan tool. LCA's and sway bar bushings need doing. The alternator needs replacing. On the Disco3-UK website I found a 'must do checklist for new LR3 owners' that I'll slowly pick my way through too.

Once I get ahold of the big maintenance issues, I'm planning a build with a slant towards an overlanding / bicycle hauling / camping rig.
I'm happy to once again have a Land Rover, and I'm looking forward to meeting some Rover-Lander members and joining the club. - Stephen

Week one: The truck was covered inside and out in thick layers of old dust. I've put some elbow grease into it. Two days of washing and cleaning later... :shock: It was fun and satisfying to see what a gem was under all that dirt, and at the same time I got a good glimpse into what's broken and in need of attention on the truck.
I've cleaned inside the engine bay, cleared the sunroof drains, defogged the headlights, and fixed some interior fittings (glovebox latch, sagging headliner, power seat controls).

No wonder the ferry cost me so much when I brought the truck home from Vancouver: I was paying for another passenger...

He's been evicted. I guess he was hungry:

The dent. I'm keen to try my hand at righting it myself.

Where it stands now. The truck cleaned up real nice.

Last edited by Mohan on Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: LR3 build
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:57 pm 
Swivel Ball

Stephen,
Could not see the images, but maybe that's just me.
Anyway, there are a few of us on the big island that get together for excursions. Right now I think many of the backroad routes are closed due to fire closures, but keep an eye on Vancouver Island Events.
I am in Maple Bay if you are passing.
Eric.

Post subject: Re: LR3 build
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:45 pm 
Apprentice

Thanks Eric. I think I've got the photo issue sorted now. :roll:
I'll keep an eye on the events page for local get togethers.
Cheers - Stephen