Mud Day, February 12th

A Forum for discussion between Rover enthusiasts on Vancouver Island

Moderator: Greg S

cbalme
Bumper Sticker

Mud Day, February 12th

#1 Post by cbalme » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:08 pm

I'm planning on heading up Hillcrest to look for some mud on Monday. So far there are two trucks on the run if anyone else is interested. We will meet at the Tim Horton's beside the Forest Museum at 8:45 and head for the hills at 9:00.

Let me know if you plan on coming, it is very short notice. It's family day too so that may thin the turnout.

Bring tow straps, gumboots and a lunch.
Colin

island dormy
Out of Africa

Re: Mud Day, February 12th

#2 Post by island dormy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:46 am

Hi Colin

If you have a seat I would like to come along. Hopefully we have more than one rover on the trip this time.
Who else is coming?

Victor 1962 Dormobile

cbalme
Bumper Sticker

#3 Post by cbalme » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:28 pm

Victor, so far it is just Bruce and I but I may have a third.
Colin

Mohan
Blithering Barnacle

#4 Post by Mohan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Me and my LR3 would like to tag along for the adventure too.
2005 Land Rover LR3 SE V8
VE7AZM

island dormy
Out of Africa

#5 Post by island dormy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:35 am

Hi Guys

Okay it looks like the weather will cooperate (no snow last night so we may be able to get some where) Greg may also come along so we should have our 4 rover minimum.
I am kind of thinking this will be a easy day on the mountain so LR-3s should do just fine.
See you guys at Tim Hortons at 8:45. Bring a radio along also if you have one.

Victor 1962 Dormobile

Mohan
Blithering Barnacle

#6 Post by Mohan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Thanks for the great day out! My first trip out with Rover-Landers and it was a good one.
It was nice meeting you all. That was a fun experience and I look forward to coming out again in the future.
cheers,
Stephen :)
2005 Land Rover LR3 SE V8
VE7AZM

Greg S
Jacked Up

#7 Post by Greg S » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:49 pm

I enjoyed the day. Thanks all of you.

I just got off the phone with our motorcycle friend (not Victor but Cory.). He is being kept overnight in the hospital. Had his surgery this afternoon and it went well. Clean break of both the tibia and fibula with no apparent blood vessel or nerve damage. He has a bit of hardware in there now to keep him together. Break was below the top of his boot. He appreciates the help getting his bike back to his truck and the ride to the hospital.
Greg S
VA7 IIA
1986 ex mil FFR 90 2.5 NA canvas top
1970 109 SW, 2.25, Parabolics, disk brakes
1955 86 SW stock & rusty
1951 80" in parts

island dormy
Out of Africa

#8 Post by island dormy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Hi Everyone

Yes it was a great day at least for us rover drivers, not so good for Cory and his motor bike.
Just to elaborate on Greg's story a little bit, Greg and I had just made it to the top of the old copper mine slag pile and were admiring the view while waiting for the 3 other rovers to slog to the top when a lone motorbike rider rode up to us and stated that he had just broke his leg. He had heard us pull in and somehow dragged himself back onto his bike, started it (electric start) and drove up for help. He could not go down hill as it was his right leg which was broken and that is the braking foot on a motor bike. How he managed to get up to us I just don't know, he was in a lot of pain.
Since there was no way a regular ambulance was going to get anywhere near us after making sure he did not have any other serious problems like a concussion he was gingerly loaded onto the back seat of the 109 and driven to the local hospital. The rest of us headed back to where he had left his pickup truck to deliver the trail bike to his father who met us at the bottom of the trail.
I have not driven a motorbike in 29 years so it was a real re-learning experience. I guess you just never forget how to do certain things.
But I kind of think I will stick with 4 wheels a roof and a heater.

Victor 1962 Dormobile

cbalme
Bumper Sticker

#9 Post by cbalme » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 pm

I had a great day out even though we didn't find any mud that was unfrozen. Thank you Greg for helping me navigate and helping that fellow.

Colin