Forum for Land Rover enthusiasts
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

----- Paid Advertisement -----

Post subject: Port Renfrew fiasco!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:22 pm 
Blithering Barnacle

Hello all,

I went back to the scene of the disaster yesterday and despite a torrential down pour and thick fog managed to find the wheel beside a creek about 50 feet down the bank. The inside of the alloy wheel is badly damaged but the near new tire looks to be in perfect shape. My Disco goes into the mechanics shop tomorrow so we will see what the damage costs to repair. I have also ordered a new HD winch bumper from Rovers North to replace the OME bumper that was damaged. That and the mechanical repairs will be paid for my good friends at the tire shop (name withheld to protect the alleged culprits dignity). Now, if anyone has a spare 18 X 8 alloy (or steel) wheel kicking around I will be that much closer to being back on the road!

Thanks,

2002 Discovery II - Terrafirma 2" lift, underbody protection, steel rear bumper, swing away spare tire, roof rack and tent
1984 Series 3 Lightweight - RH drive soft top, 24V FFR, ex Gurkha Engineers in Hong Kong (1984 - 1997)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:49 pm 
Drip Dry

I heard the story this weekend, sounds like it was a harrowing experience. Kudos to you for safely controlling the vehicle to a stop! Sounds like a tough way to get a new bumper :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:01 pm 
Blithering Barnacle

Thanks Rob. I was very fortunate to keep it on the road, especially with my son along for the ride. Not something I ever want to experience again.

2002 Discovery II - Terrafirma 2" lift, underbody protection, steel rear bumper, swing away spare tire, roof rack and tent
1984 Series 3 Lightweight - RH drive soft top, 24V FFR, ex Gurkha Engineers in Hong Kong (1984 - 1997)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:29 pm 
Gunga Gin

Wowzers... I'd rather be running on 7 cylinders than 3 wheels!

Fair play to the Tire shop for admitting their error - It's not the first time I've heard of wheels coming off right after a visit to a Tire shop...